ABC’s Last Days on Earth, which aired last night as a special edition of 20/20, galloped through seven scenarios for the end of the world, aided by Al Gore and a gaggle of prominent scientists (including the ebullient American Museum of Natural History astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson), and punctuated with earnest vox poppery and some rather stilted, angular commentary from Stephen Hawking.
And according to ABC, the nominees for the most likely end-of-world scenario are:
- A gamma ray burst or black hole;
- Artificial Intelligence on the loose;
- A supervolcano;
- The Earth getting hit by an asteroid;
- Nuclear annihilation;
- A natural or bioterrorist pandemic; and
- Global warming, also known as that thing Al Gore’s always talking about.
See more hype here.
During interludes in the discussion, average folks talked about what they would do with the rest of their lives if they knew the exact time and date of the end of the world.
Feel free to submit your own ideas in the comment section of this post.